Passion with Purpose Base
Passion with Purpose Base (PPB) is a dedicated area within the school which supports our most vulnerable and disadvantaged students. It consists of two designated classrooms that are specifically designed to foster a nurturing and safe atmosphere which is conducive to learning. The department is staffed with a dedicated team of subject-specialist professionals, whose interventions are designed to work alongside our broad and balanced curriculum, not instead of it. This specialised department forms part of our wider Inclusion team, and therefore has strong links with CUB, Forward Step and MAC.
- Improve outcomes for disadvantaged learners.
- Narrow the attainment gap between Pupil Premium students and their peers.
- Encourage high aspirations within the school and beyond.
Support and Interventions
Within the department, we offer a wide range of support and interventions which enable our Pupil Premium students to fulfil their academic potential. These include (but are not limited to) the following:
- Provision of necessary materials and essentials for their lessons, including specific items – such as art sketch pads – or more general ones – such as everyday stationery needs.
- Support in attending after-school revision and catch up interventions, for example transport home (where appropriate).
- Opportunities to attend key events both inside and outside of the academy which focus on raising aspirations.
- Equal opportunities for additional responsibilities within the Academy, for example as a School Commissioner, or Head Boy/Head Girl.
- Mentoring and coaching to address the personalised needs of the individual, such as Mental Health support, Attendance Mentoring and Behavioural support.
- Personalised and targeted intervention to enable quick progression to ‘close the attainment gap’ between disadvantaged students and their more affluent peers. These sessions are led by a qualified and ambitious intervention team, working in classroom teachers of core subjects. These sessions are designed to tackle the key concepts and skills that are needed to be successful within our core subjects, and is delivered in a way that is used to complement the teaching that is taking place in the classroom. The process is defined in the ‘Intervention Process’ flowchart.
- Access to all school trips and visits which are integral to the school curriculum and enhance students’ learning.
- Delivery of the Prince’s Trust ‘Achieve’ award for our most vulnerable and at-risk students to support academic attainment. More information can be found here: https://www.princes-trust.org.uk/help-for-young-people/unlock-your-potential/explore-your-potential .
- Celebration of successes through the Academy’s in-house rewards system, which includes rewards assemblies and presentation evenings.