Skip to content ↓

What is an education, health and care (EHC) plan?

Not all children with special educational needs (SEN) need an education, health and care plan (EHCP) to have their needs met. Most children with SEN have their needs met with SEN Support in a mainstream education setting. However, some young people need further support through an EHCP. An EHCP is for a student who has complex special educational needs and disabilities. 


  • Specifies special educational, health and social care provision and support that is needed for a child or young person to achieve their best possible outcomes
  • Is based on a child or young person’s needs and aspirations
  • Specifies how services will work together to meet a child or young person’s needs and achieve agreed outcomes
  • Is a legal document
  • Can start from a child’s birth and can remain in place until a young person is 25
  • Is used to secure the provision which is assessed as being necessary

To reiterate, an EHC plan is for children and young people with complex needs, which cannot be met with SEN Support.

What do I do if I feel my child may need and EHCP?

If you think your child may need and EHCP then please get in contact with the SENCO. The SENCO and the DSEN team will be able to work with you around what support your child needs and if requested and deemed appropriate, can apply for an EHCP. Whilst parents can make separate applications it is recommended that applications are made by school as we have evidence about provision already in place.

For more information about EHCP applications in Norfolk please visit:

What support will my child receive if they have an EHCP?

Students with EHCPs will receive support in line with the school’s provision details of which can be found in the Academy’s Information Report. Each student’s needs are individual and therefore will be based on information in the ECHP as well as regular meetings with the student and their family.