Course outline / overview
Key Stage 4 GCSE specification WJEC
- Controlled coursework tasks organised in terms of three study areas – representation in media texts, their audiences and the organisations which produce and distribute them. This means that all topics studied are approached in the same way and students develop their knowledge and understanding as the course progresses,
- It allows for students to develop research, planning and production skills through creative work at all stages in the course. This means that their learning is reinforced through exploring texts (textual analysis), research, and production work (all internally assessed and 60% of grade).
- External examination based on two areas of media. Section 1 is based on an unseen visual text. Section 2 is based on unseen print-based media text. (40% of grade)
Key Stage 5 GCE A Level specification WJEC
AS (2 units)
- Unit 1: MS1 Media Representations and Responses - examination
Three compulsory questions, including one question on unseen audio-visual or print-based material.
- Unit 2: MS2 Media Production Processes
one pre-production (20); one production which develops from the pre-production (40); and one report on the production process (40)
A2 (2 units)
- Unit 3 MS3 Media Investigation & Production
Three components: a written investigation into media text(s) (45); a media production (45); and an evaluation (10).
- Unit 4: MS4 25% External Assessment: 2½ hour Written Paper
Media – Text, Industry and Audience Three questions (30 marks per question).
Candidates must answer each question on a different media industry.